Monday 4 July 2016

Obscure systems and a Zelda rip-off

New Legend of Zelda is coming out next year. As a long term fan, I'm so excited that I already went and bought myself a Wii U. It is my actually my first console since I moved out on my own. As a matter of fact, I've been more interested in making games than playing them in the recent years. But Breath of the Wild is something I don't want to miss. Look at all this vast, natural world, puzzles utilizing the physics engine, and ancient technology!

Yeah, I'm drooling (figuratively). I don't know whether I should have waited for the new console, Nintendo NX, but considering that nobody does really have a clue about it, I don't think my purchase was a bad one.

Wii U has a bunch of nice looking titles, like extremely well received Super Mario 3D World of which some say it is the best Mario game ever. It is also backward compatible with Wii and has Virtual console for the old classics. Apparently it also runs Gamecube games after a bit of tweaking but doing so puts you on Santa's Naughty list...right? Probably voids the warranty as well.

On top of that Wii U has sold rather badly, so in a few years it is going to be really hard to find. Every now and then I get excited about some specific retro system. For example, 8 years ago I read about Game Boy Micro and I was like Oo, a smaller backlit version of GBA! If I get an SD card reader for that, it would be so handy to carry around and play all the best Game Boy games whenever I feel like it (smartphones weren't so smart back then). I've got to have one!

Blue Game Boy Micro and GBA cartridge [source]
Never heard of it? No wonder, as it sold only 2.42 million units worldwide. For comparison Game Boy Advance has sold 35.52 million units and this doesn't include SP. I failed to find it from any game stores, first or second hand, so I eventually bought it off eBay. I personally like it more than Advance or SP. It is smaller but the screen is better looking and it feels good in hand. It doesn't support Game Boy and Game Boy Color games (unless one uses an SD card reader, naughty naughty), which might have contributed to its failure together with the release of DS. It's a shame but this time I'm prepared if the same thing were to happen to Wii U.

But even if they'd outlaw Wii U, Breath of the Wild won't be out until the next year. I don't think I can wait that long. That's why I'm going to put my recently acquired electronics skillz to use and make the next Zelda adventure myself...except I don't dare to call it a 'Zelda'. There are rather high expectations of the fans that my little project will never meet. But even more importantly, Nintendo happens to be very protective of their electronic rights and don't take violations kindly (I had to allow ads on my last video if I wanted to use a tune from Super Mario Bros 2).

Following the great success of The Torment of Alfred McSilvernuts, I hereby announce my next adventure game:

It would surely look like this if I had more pixels and, like, colors.

(Although it might appear like one, it is totally not a fart joke here. I'm a Master of Science after all; my sense of humor is delicate and mature as fuck.)

Unlike the last game with a bunch of LEDs lighting up, this one requires a bit more thought. Just making it is going to be an adventure on its own. I hope the difficulty setting is no higher than medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment